November 12, 2006

nov 12 2006

1 Kgs 17:10-16 In those days, Elijah the prophet went to Zarephath. As he arrived at the entrance of the city, a widow was gathering sticks there; he called out to her, "Please bring me a small cupful of water to drink." She left to get it, and he called out after her,"Please bring along a bit of bread." She answered, "As the LORD, your God, lives, I have nothing baked; there is only a handful of flour in my jar and a little oil in my jug. Just now I was collecting a couple of sticks, to go in and prepare something for myself and my son;when we have eaten it, we shall die." Elijah said to her, "Do not be afraid. Go and do as you propose. But first make me a little cake and bring it to me. Then you can prepare something for yourself and your son. For the LORD, the God of Israel, says, 'The jar of flour shall not go empty, nor the jug of oil run dry, until the day when the LORD sends rain upon the earth.'" She left and did as Elijah had said. She was able to eat for a year, and he and her son as well; the jar of flour did not go empty, nor the jug of oil run dry, as the LORD had foretold through Elijah.

Ps 146:7, 8-9, 9-10R. (1b) Praise the Lord, my soul!
The LORD keeps faith forever,secures justice for the oppressed,gives food to the hungry.The LORD sets captives free.
R. Praise the Lord, my soul!
The LORD gives sight to the blind.The LORD raises up those who were bowed down;the LORD loves the just.The LORD protects strangers.
R. Praise the Lord, my soul!
The fatherless and the widow he sustains,but the way of the wicked he thwarts.The LORD shall reign forever;your God, O Zion, through all generations. Alleluia.
R. Praise the Lord, my soul!

Mk 12:38-44 or 12:41-44 In the course of his teaching Jesus said to the crowds, "Beware of the scribes, who like to go around in long robes and accept greetings in the marketplaces, seats of honor in synagogues, and places of honor at banquets. They devour the houses of widows and, as a pretext recite lengthy prayers. They will receive a very severe condemnation." He sat down opposite the treasury and observed how the crowd put money into the treasury. Many rich people put in large sums. A poor widow also came and put in two small coins worth a few cents. Calling his disciples to himself, he said to them, "Amen, I say to you, this poor widow put in more than all the other contributors to the treasury. For they have all contributed from their surplus wealth, but she, from her poverty, has contributed all she had, her whole livelihood."

Do I give to the Lord and God what little I can afford or all that I have? If I can not give all to God freely with my whole heart and soul then perhaps the little gifts are a sham and just for show like the scribes showing off their robes and prayers for others. Do I give for what others can see or because of what is from my heart and soul and mind?

I pray daily to remember to give of myself to others as the will of God reveals their needs to me. I do not have very much money with a slim monthly cash allowance for simple items such as shampoo, clothing, gifts for others and an occasional snack or lunch out. I do not go shopping very often perhaps once a month. I find it freeing to not be ruled by materialism and consumerism and see that it leaves more time in my life for meaningful activities instead of simply acquiring and maintaining possessions.

I see the giving the small coin as being similar to giving the other person room to talk. To give silence at times allows the room for a person with supportive responses to say more of what they need to. To give that little extra time to a person who needs it is a gift that may be like my last few coins. The time may be precious and scarce but the person that I am being present to may need my time more than anything else in the word. I have been constantly working on keeping my heart and mind open to others and ministering to all.

I have lately been ministering most to university students and find it enormously rewarding. I have kept confidentiality with them. I make myself available for them to walk in and see me all day every thursday. They can call my cell phone or email anytime. I am most grateful for the opportunity and privilege to be able to be in the position of being a university instructor. It is a blessing to be able to work with these dedicated, intelligent and talented young people as they strive to be the best in an academic program that is extremely challenging and difficult for all. They are learning to be nurses and healers and to make decisions that are life and death critical choices everyday. I pray that I may give them the support, the heart, the attitude, the tools and the information that they need to be the best nurses and healers possible to help many with intelligence, kindness and compassion.

Dr Jean Watson (internationally known nurse theorist from Coloradao) this summer in her local talk said that the nurse or healer can only truly heal themself. I think that the understanding of this is a key to being an effective healer. In my belief, God is the only one who can heal me and I need to be open to accept God's healing. When I am whole and well, I am able to better heal others. When I have understood my own wounds, I am better able to heal others. When I am open to others, my heart and mind is freed of my own smallness and expands with the joy of life and giving and loving.

I pray this morning that I may be open to whatever God is calling me to and that I may continue to have the privilege and joy of teaching others to be instruments of healing. I pray also to remember to give when I do not think I have enough left to give as the widow did with her coins.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home